Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Miyata Triple Cross

Threw that saddle out, by the way.

The bike had been stored in a locker from about October 2007 through April 2008. It's the one I take camping on Angel Island, because the bikes get knocked around a fair bit on the ferry.

Originally sold in the early 1990s, it was one of the first hybrid bikes with 700c wheels. It featured a lugged chromoly triple-butted frame (probably Ishiwata tubing), 130mm dropout spacing, and mid-level components including Shimano Exage brakes and biopace cranks.

I had the stock stem replaced with a Ritchy Force steel stem, and I didn't care for the shifters, so I upgraded to Shimano Deore thumbshifters, which lasted for quite a few years, but have been replaced since.

The stock Araya rims are fairly durable, but the original rear wheel had a problem breaking spokes after about 3 or 4 years. I finally rebuilt it (original rims and hub) with DT spokes and haven't had problems since.

Over the years I've worn out and replaced many parts including the saddle, pedals, front wheel, rear derailleur, and shifters (twice). With 700x28c tires it's great on the road as a commuter. With 700x35c Ritchey Max cyclocross tires, it becomes my "mountain bike."

In its latest incarnation as an around-town bike, I put more upright bars on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home